Phase One (2010–2013)
The Western Sector Park Development Plan encompasses more than 200 acres of the Orange County Great Park. The plan is designed to build park space that is diverse in use and appropriate to the funds available. The project will be completed 2013, with park features being opened as they are completed.
Construction is currently underway on the Great Park’s South Lawn Sports + Fitness Complex, a $22.8 million, 30-acre expansion. When completed in summer 2013, the total activated park space at the Great Park will exceed 230 acres. The Sports + Fitness Complex will provide a variety of new amenities to the Great Park, including:
- Sports Facilities: Four tournament-quality soccer fields, two of which will be synthetic grass and lighted for evening use, four full-size basketball courts, a new restroom and operations facility building, as well as a mile-long health and fitness path.
- Visitors Center Pavilion: A new 4,700 square-foot Visitors Center Pavilion will replace the existing temporary Visitors Center. It will be the Great Park’s first new permanent building and feature a larger lobby, restroom facilities, concession area, and office space.
- Reflecting Pond and Viewing Pier: A reflecting pond and viewing pier near the entrance of the Great Park will connect to the Walkable Historical Timeline and link the South Lawn Sports + Fitness Complex with the Great Park Balloon.
- Walkable Historical Timeline: The Walkable Historical Timeline, which currently takes visitors on a 750-foot historical walk through history, will be expanded to reach a total of 2,604 feet and include more than 100 additional historical details.
- Infrastructure: The construction will also include installation of a variety of infrastructure improvements that will set the stage for future Great Park development.
What’s in Phase One?